4. Common homophones
Homophones are words which are pronounced in the same way but are spelt differently.
Here are some examples of homophones in English.
THERE / THEIR WAIST / WASTE ROAD / RODE
BEE / BE SEW / SO STARES / STAIRS
FOR /FOUR OUR / HOUR WOOD / WOULD
AREN’T / AUNT WHERE / WEAR PIECE / PEACE
AIR / HEIR RIGHT / WRITE SIGHT / SITE
WAIT / WEIGHT SCENE / SEEN FARE / FAIR
RAISE / RAYS STEAK / STAKE SALE / SAIL
FLU / FLEW HOARSE / HORSE RAIN / REIN
MIGHT / MITE GREAT / GRATE MOAN / MOWN
Fill in the gaps using an appropriate word.
- Watching TV is a ____________ of time.
- The eldest son of the monarch is the __________ to the throne.
- The question is to _____ or not to ______.
- His girlfriend has a narrow ________.
- Alfred Nobel was a ________ inventor.
- _______ races are very popular in Britain.
- You are English, _______ you?
- If you ask me, he is good _____ nothing.
- On the one hand, you _______ be right, but on the other hand you may be wrong.
- He keeps sneezing and coughing, perhaps he has got ______.
- Lately a ______ has become the most feared insect in the countryside.
- They went to casino and played for a high _______.
- Children had to read the thick volume of “War and _______”.
- Everybody thought it was a ______ play.
- My neighbours have _______ the grass in their garden.
- His speech was so long that he talked himsellf _________.
- They always walked in the morning ______ or shine.
- The notice says “Lift is out of order, use the _______”.
- You must _______ formal clothes for reception in the Palace.
- "To have a _____ in one's bonnet" means to behave in a strange manner.
- What is the average ______ going by bus?
- Supermarkets often put up for ______ unsaleable goods.
- I ________ rather they joined us as soon as possible.
- Wine from the ______ is much better than from the bottle.
- Rumours are in the _____ that he is about to leave.
- Every summer she is puzzled as _______ to go on holidays.
- Sometimes we do not know _____ own mind.
- Haven’t you _____ him at the conference?
- The _____ of this film is laid in Paris.
- Teacher’s patience is running thin because of ______ misconduct.
Mykolas Romeris University, Vilnius, Lithuania